We are not naive, take a look at Grindr, men are hooking up again, and in huge numbers. We are not ones to preach but do want our fabulous readers to stay safe during this now five month long pandemic.
Dr. Hunter Handsfield, professor emeritus at UW Center for AIDS and STDs and former director of the Seattle-King County public health STD program, agrees: “Sex is the polar opposite of social distancing… 90 percent of sexual acts are going to risk coronavirus infection.”
So if you can’t keep it on your pants, we at the Daily.LGBT, we have searched out the best advice for avoiding COVID-19 during sex.
WE CAN’T STRESS ENOUGH – NUMBER ONE IS THE SAFEST!
- Just have a wank. The simplest and best way to avoid catching COVID-19 – is a simple wank. It will always be the easiest as well!
- Call for help. Phone and video sex are risk free. Just don’t do it on an office Zoom call.
- Try mutual masturbation. Wear a mask and keep a little physical distance. Less fun but it’ll make a great pub story.
- Find a “fuck buddy.” The Netherlands recommends citizens find a dedicated “sex buddy.” The safest sex is with someone in your bubble.
- Postpone the orgy. New York health chiefs say, “If two is company then three (or more) is definitely a crowd.” Lots of time for those sex parties next year.
- Trust you partner. Before any hookup, ask with your partner about any COVID-19 symptoms or diagnosis. A recent study showed that most gay and bi men lied about this information to partners. Do better.
- Know the symptoms. Fever, cough, a loss of taste or smell, and shortness of breath are common COVID-19 symptoms. Many of us are asymptomatic and we will never know.
- Come out of the closet. Pick a large, well-ventilated area for lovemaking. Open a window if possible. I came out the closet years ago, now I have to doc it again!
- Wear a mask. A June study from Harvard University researchers recommend wearing a mask during sex. This virus is spread primarily through the saliva, mucus, and breath of an infected person. A mask will also cover “heavy breathing and panting,” another risk factor. Yes, another type of mask needed during sex!
- Avoid kissing. Locking lips may now be the riskiest behaviour for COVID-19 exposure during sex. This is disappointing but we can take one for the team!
- Avoid rimming. A Harvard study advises against “sexual behaviours with a risk for fecal-oral transmission or that involve semen or urine.” Yep, this is another one to postpone.
- Go for a hole, a glory hole! New York and the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control has recommended the time-honoured glory hole as a safe-sex barrier to COVID-19. A hole for a hole.
- Practice cleanliness. Shower before and after sex. Don’t touch your face with unwashed hands. Launder the sheets. Clean the area with soap or alcohol wipes. Keep a bottle of hand sanitiser on hand or bring one with you if you’re traveling. Is there anything worse than an unclean hook up anyway?
- Just have a wank. Yes, back to this. THIS IS THE SAFEST!